[WSBARP] Abandonment of commercial lease in King County and possible prejudgment attachment in Pierce County?

Stephen Crane scrane at cranedunham.com
Mon Jun 1 10:03:43 PDT 2020

Listmates:

Our client is the landlord of office space in King County that has 8 years
to go on a 10 year lease.
The tenants stopped paying rent in January, and closed their office and
abandoned the property in March.

The tenants signed the lease personally, and also signed as guarantors.
The tenants just listed their Pierce County home for sale, and may be
leaving the area.
The client is interested in seeking a prejudgment attachment on the
tenants' personal residence, as that may be the only asset available to pay
any judgment.

As far as I know, the real property in Pierce County is the only real
property owned by the tenants, and is also their principal residence.

If there is jurisdiction in Pierce County, that is where I want to file the
lawsuit, clearly, but the guarantee by the tenants is for a lease of real
property in King County.
Any thoughts about whether there the tenants can successfully object to
jurisdiction of the lawsuit being first and/or solely filed in Pierce
County (and the landlord seeking a prejudgment attachment), under the above
scenario?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Steve Crane

*Stephen J. Crane*

*CRANE DUNHAM PLLC*

*3600 15th Ave West, Suite 200*

*Seattle, WA 98119 *

*phone: (206) 292-9090
<%28206%29%20292-9090>  email: scrane at cranedunham.com
<scrane at cranedunham.com>*

*fax: (206) 292-9736 <%28206%29%20292-9736>     web: www.cranedunham.com
<http://www.cranedunham.com/>*

*This e-mail may contain confidential information which is legally
privileged.  The information is solely for the use of the addressee named
above.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or other use of the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us by
return e-mail and delete this message.  Thank you.*