[Vision2020] Question, V-Peeps . . .

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 24 20:28:47 PDT 2012

You know what?  It actually is intolerance.  The Christ Church
leadership may not be stellar citizens according to your criteria, but I
see so much ridicule and hatred directed at them on this list that I
fail to see it as anything other than intolerance.  For example, a few
years ago people on this list were suggesting that we boycott any
business run by Christ Church members because of some conflict people on
this list had with Doug.  I don't even remember what it was.  A tolerant
community would welcome people of all faiths, whether or not they
thought their leadership were screw-ups.

This isn't directed at you, personally, by the way.  It's just something
that has bothered me as a long-time Vision2020 subscriber.  I'm saying
this in response to your post because I find you to be one of the more
rational people on this list.  Myself, I hope they manage to build the
cathedral of their dreams, whatever that might be.  The same goes for
any other religious group out there.  More power to them.

I just think that a more welcoming approach might be worth a try
someday.  Every single Christ Church member that I have spent more than
a few minutes interacting with has turned out to be a nice, helpful
person.  More so than your average person, even.

I'm not just suggesting that we be more tolerant of them because I
happen to know a few members of their church.  If this was a Muslim
group, witches, Satanists (of whatever variety), atheists,
Scientologists, or any other minority religious group, I'd be suggesting
the same thing.  Welcome them to the community because they are people
like we all are.  It doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't complain about whatever it
is they think Doug has been up to last, I just think that the
"Intolerista" thing should be tossed out the window, as should the "not
on the Palouse, not ever" idea.  If it were a group distinguished
because of gender, race, or sexual preference and people were being
proud of their intolerance to them, I would expect everyone on this list
to be rightly offended.  I don't know why people intolerant of a
religious tradition are being given a pass.

Anyway, rant over.  I'll go prepare myself for the veritable shitstorm
that I suspect is on it's way.

Paul