[Vision2020] PR - Jackson St Lot Upgrades and Temp Market Relocation

Art Deco art.deco.studios at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 11:45:47 PDT 2012

Gary,

Not unreasonable questions, especially in times of economic distress.

If you remember, a couple of poorly constructed surveys were made of the
downtown parking situation, and especially of the Jackson Street parking
lot.  The result of these surveys was a successful crusade by Les MacDonald
and Walter "Mr. Slime" Steed to *Lower* rather than raise the rates paid by
monthly users.

Of course this was of immense benefit to New Saint Andrews, a non taxpaying
entity whose students and staff make up the largest by far monthly parking
place subscribers.  But to the rest of Moscow taxpayers, it meant a loss of
revenue and consequently either higher taxes or losses of other services.

The intelligent thing (an action frequently ignored by several of the
council) would have been to raise the rates and to allocate the entire rate
income to a fund for lot maintenance and improvements.

So in addition to the questions you have raised, perhaps the issue of
monthly parking rates ought to be reasked:  Why then?  And why not now?

w.

--
Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
art.deco.studios at gmail.com