[Vision2020] hard to imagine

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:29:26 PST 2012

Paul,

I don't think the Tea Partiers are libertarian; I think they're part of the Republican base, as Ron said earlier today.

Sunil

Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 18:12:02 -0800
From: godshatter at yahoo.com
To: rforce2003 at yahoo.com
CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] hard to imagine

    This reminds me that I wanted to start a discussion about the
    left/right liberal/conservative metric.

    This is a good case of where this metric doesn't always hold.  I was
    reading some comments about this on a website I frequent, and one
    metric that was suggested was an authoritarian/libertarian metric.
    These terms have their own baggage, so let me describe what I mean.
    Authoritarian in this case would mean a goal of centralizing more
    functions and growing the Federal government.  Libertarian in this
    case would mean decentralizing government and decreasing the size of
    the Federal Government.

    Tea Partiers would presumably fall in the libertarian camp, thus
    they could be Libertarian Republicans or Libertarian Democrats.
    This would mean that we shouldn't be shocked that a few of them are,
    in fact, Democrats.

    I don't know if the two axis' are orthogonal or not.

    Note that it's in the best interest of those in positions of power
    to promote authoritarianism.  I think if we did an analysis, we'd
    find that most incumbents are authoritarian, even if they talk about
    smaller government.

    I fall into the libertarian camp, as defined above, more or less.
    Some things should be centralized, or at least coordinated
    centrally, but many of them should be left to the individual States,
    or dropped altogether.

    I see it as those who want to be protected and those who want to
    live with fewer restrictions, even if dangerously.  Me, I'd rather
    die on my feet than live on my knees.

    What do you guys think?

    Paul