[Vision2020] hard to imagine

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 18:12:02 PST 2012

This reminds me that I wanted to start a discussion about the left/right
liberal/conservative metric.

This is a good case of where this metric doesn't always hold.  I was
reading some comments about this on a website I frequent, and one metric
that was suggested was an authoritarian/libertarian metric.  These terms
have their own baggage, so let me describe what I mean.  Authoritarian
in this case would mean a goal of centralizing more functions and
growing the Federal government.  Libertarian in this case would mean
decentralizing government and decreasing the size of the Federal Government.

Tea Partiers would presumably fall in the libertarian camp, thus they
could be Libertarian Republicans or Libertarian Democrats.  This would
mean that we shouldn't be shocked that a few of them are, in fact,
Democrats.

I don't know if the two axis' are orthogonal or not.

Note that it's in the best interest of those in positions of power to
promote authoritarianism.  I think if we did an analysis, we'd find that
most incumbents are authoritarian, even if they talk about smaller
government.

I fall into the libertarian camp, as defined above, more or less.  Some
things should be centralized, or at least coordinated centrally, but
many of them should be left to the individual States, or dropped altogether.

I see it as those who want to be protected and those who want to live
with fewer restrictions, even if dangerously.  Me, I'd rather die on my
feet than live on my knees.

What do you guys think?

Paul