[Vision2020] Moscow City Council's Megaload Discussion

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sun May 29 00:43:59 PDT 2011

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the input, which I think is very helpful.

In part, you wrote:

"As is obvious from the pictures, a major focus of this action involved
anthropogenic climate change ("Climate Justice" in banner), which is a
separate issue from whether or not the mega-loads local or state impacts are
acceptable or legal; and is an issue that I find exceedingly strange is not
a major focus of local discussion, as far as I have determined, regarding
why the mega-loads should be opposed"

If you've not already done so, I would encourage you to look more closely at
the Moscow City Council comments.  Certain Council members made it crystal
clear from the beginning that they didn't give a rip about the Bigger
Picture of anthropogenic climate change with respect to the proposed
mega-loads.  Given that local governmental climate, so to speak, I don't
find it strange at all that some folks have opted to speak out about
particularly local issues rather than trying to address the bigger
anthropogenic climate change issue on a local basis.  It seems to me there's
plenty of legitimate concern about mega-load issues on a local basis without
trying to convince local/state government & legislators who have clearly
stated that they don't care about the big picture - see Debi
Robinson-Smith's response earlier today (well, yesterday now).

Mind you, I'm not dismissing the bigger picture concerns at all.  Rather,
I'm saying that when local government has clearly expressed a bias against
Big Picture concerns, it makes sense to me to try to reason with them on the
many valid local concerns.

In the interests of full disclosure, I feel compelled to state that a
private piece written by a very dear friend about the perspective of local
(throughout Idaho) Native Americans when we started building roads has given
me much food for thought.  Additionally, I've concerns about trying to
"dictate" to another country (Canada) what they "should" be doing, given
this country's penchant for sticking our noses where they don't, IMHO,
belong.

OTOH, I also readily admit that this country has failed miserably, IMHO, to
stick our noses where conscience dictates we should care, so I'm not deaf to
the concerns about the health of First Nation peoples about the Alberta oil
sands development.

>From my perspective, the bigger issue is very complex with somewhat valid
arguments from more than two perspectives.

However, from a local discussion standpoint, it seems to me there are
legitimate concerns from local citizens that don't necessarily take into
account - or take a position on - the Bigger Picture.  In trying to reach
our local representatives, some of whom have clearly stated disinterest in
looking further, I want to encourage folks to continue to hit the local
perspective - and hit it hard.

Do you think that puts us at odds?

I hope not!

Ted also wrote, "Anyone attempting to organize effective civil disobedience
in Moscow opposing the mega-loads should consider gaining the involvement of
committed and experienced activists from outside our area who oppose the tar
sands development."

I don't disagree, and I sincerely hope that should the mega-loads be routed
through Moscow that such activists reach out locally as I suspect that
they'd find a sympathetic population.  And, as I've already stated, I'm
willing to participate & would be, I suspect, some of my friends  J

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke