[Vision2020] Moscow City Council's Megaload Discussion

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue May 24 16:03:47 PDT 2011

Rising Tide Portland- Hood River, OR
http://www.extractionaction.net/2011/04/rising-tide-portland-hood-river-or/

"They're making a killing. Profit > People+Planet?" Quote from badge or
poster at this website:
http://www.extractionaction.net/2011/03/add-the-day-of-action-to-your-site/

>From first website above:

To commemorate the one year anniversary of the gulf oil disaster, 100 people
gathered today on the banks of the Columbia River where the infamous Tar
Sands shipments will be transported by barge to the port of Lewiston, ID.
-----------------------
A few moments of searching revealed this action April 20, 2011 (anniversary
of the gulf oil disaster), in Hood River, Ore. against the tar sands bound
equipment that may pass through Moscow.  As is obvious from the pictures, a
major focus of this action involved anthropogenic climate change ("Climate
Justice" in banner), which is a separate issue from whether or not the
mega-loads local or state impacts are acceptable or legal; and is an issue
that I find exceedingly strange is not a major focus of local discussion, as
far as I have determined, regarding why the mega-loads should be opposed

Note this action brought members of first nation indigenous communities from
the tar sands and surrounding areas and Northwest climate justice
activists.  Anyone attempting to organize effective civil disobedience in
Moscow opposing the mega-loads should consider gaining the involvement of
committed and experienced activists from outside our area who oppose the tar
sands development.

No, that would not be me!
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett