[Vision2020] Moscow City Council's Megaload Discussion

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun May 29 14:24:32 PDT 2011

On 5/29/11, Saundra Lund <v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm> wrote:

> However, from a local discussion standpoint, it seems to me there are
> legitimate concerns from local citizens that don't necessarily take into
> account - or take a position on - the Bigger Picture.  In trying to reach
> our local representatives, some of whom have clearly stated disinterest in
> looking further, I want to encourage folks to continue to hit the local
> perspective - and hit it hard.
>
> Do you think that puts us at odds?
>
> I hope not!

Yesterday I posted comments on Vision2020, which you can read in full
at this website
( http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2011-May/076724.html )
that I think already addressed your point above, that are partially
pasted in below.

Moscow Councilperson Carscallen on Vision2020 already expressed a
skeptical view of anthropogenic climate change, in an exchange I had
with him on this issue long before the mega-load issue arose, so I
would guess, unless he has changed his mind, he has no major concerns
regarding the climate change implications of the tar sands bound
mega-loads.  I think this skeptical view of climate change is not
based on a objective survey of all the scientific evidence regarding
the profound implications of human impacts on Earth's climate, but I
also think he is to be applauded for answering my concerns on this
issue on Vision2020, which it is rather obvious many in local
government avoid.

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2011-May/076724.html

>From Vision2020 post at website above:

Note that Moscow Mayor Cheney's letter referenced here makes no
mention of the ultimate goals of the mega-loads, to expand tar sands
development, nor the consequences of this for anthropogenic climate
change.  I think this is a grevious omission, that might have been
rather deliberate, to avoid the politics involved in a city mayor
introducing the global climate issue regarding what many would insist
is exclusively a local municipal matter.

And there is a factual basis for concern over introducing global
climate change into local politics, given Moscow Councilperson
Carscallen's public comments referenced earlier in this thread, that
appear to be an attempt to de-legitimize concerns exclusively focused
on the mega-loads impacts to highways, streets and the public in
general, implying the real agenda of some is an alternative energy
bias against oil, so if the mega-loads were wind turbines or solar
panels, objections would lessen.

Indeed, if playing the game of local politics for election, given the
sizable local voting block that is not as environmentally oriented as
the image of Moscow might suggest, avoiding taking an aggressive
stance against the tar sands bound mega-loads, because of the impacts
on climate change, is probably savvy strategy.
--------------------
Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl1.fastmail.fm
Sun May 29 00:43:59 PDT 2011
wrote:

> "From my perspective, the bigger issue is very complex with somewhat valid
> arguments from more than two perspectives."

Do you mean you doubt the following emphatic statements from NASA
climate scientist James Hansen, in his acceptance speech for Sophie
Prize in June 2010, that specifically address Canadian tar sands
developments impacts on climate change, given Norway's Statoil
Canadian tar sands investments?  The physics of the Earth's climate
system is indifferent to the economics, politics, ideology etc. of
human affairs, of debates about local versus state versus national or
international issues.  We as a species either respect this objective
physics, or we will pay a dear price.  If unconventional oil reserves
(tar sands, heavy oil, shale) are developed on a massive scale, the
global climate change implicatons are daunting, given these
unconventional reserves are gigantic:
http://www.radford.edu/wkovarik/oil/3unconventional.html
--------------
NASA climate scientist James Hansen's acceptance speech for the Sophie
Prize June 2010:

http://www.sofieprisen.no/Articles/514.html

Our planet today is close to climate tipping points. Ice is melting in
the Arctic, on Greenland and Antarctica, and on mountain glaciers
worldwide. Many species are stressed by environmental destruction and
climate change. Continuing fossil fuel emissions, if unabated, will
cause sea level rise and species extinction accelerating out of
humanity's control. Increasing atmospheric water vapor is already
magnifying climate extremes, increasing overall precipitation, causing
greater floods and stronger storms.

Stabilizing climate requires restoring our planet's energy balance.
The physics is straightforward. The effect of increasing carbon
dioxide on Earth's energy imbalance is confirmed by précis
measurements of ocean heat gain. The principal implication is defined
by the geophysics, by the size of fossil fuel reservoirs. Simply put,
there is a limit on how much carbon dioxide we can pour into the
atmosphere. We cannot burn all fossil fuels. Specifically, we must (1)
phase out coal use rapidly, (2) leave tar sands in the ground, and (3)
not go after the last drops of oil.

And in the same speech:

"But our governments have no intention of solving the fossil fuel and
climate problem, as is easy to prove: the United States, Canadian and
Norwegian governments are going right ahead developing the tar sands,
which, if it is not halted, will make it impossible to stabilize
climate. Our governments knowingly abdicate responsibility for young
people and future generations."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett