[Vision2020] Moscow's Muscular Megalod Embrace

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:12:05 PDT 2011

On 5/28/11, Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

"I think that this issue should be about the technical details of moving a
large load across local highways."
----------------
"I see this as an abuse of power because people (here on the list and
in the papers) have made this into an issue based on what this
corporation does and not whether or not they are following the
regulations regarding the moving of large loads along our highways."

I think you misperceive the overall content on the mega-load issue in
discussions on Vision2020 and in the local press.

Apparently you have not read the May 18, 2011 "Letter from Moscow
Mayor Chaney to Idaho Transportation Department...", a website to
which was posted to Vision2020 Mon. May 23:
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2011-May/076659.html
http://www.moscowcares.com/HIghway12/Letter_Chaney_ITD_051811.htm

If you have read it, you know there are objections to the mega-loads
passage posted to Vision2020 based on the "technical details of moving
a large load across local highways."

Also, I have not found the primary focus of discussion on this list or
in the press regarding the mega-loads is on ExxonMobil's behavior in
general as a multinational corporation.

In fact, I have been dismayed at the lack of focus, here and in the
local press, on what I regard as ExxonMobil's abuses of power in
promoting tar sands development, especially in the context of the
millions ExxonMobil has spent on junk climate science propaganda and
manipulation of government policy to address climate change, given the
profound impacts this will have on accelerating global warming, that
will eventually impact most everyone on Earth (actually, it already
is), including residents of Moscow, Idaho.

I will post critical references on this issue yet again, for those who
might have missed them earlier:

>From the Union of Concerned Scientists:

Scientists' Report Documents ExxonMobil’s Tobacco-like Disinformation
Campaign on Global Warming Science: Oil Company Spent Nearly $16
Million to Fund Skeptic Groups, Create Confusion, " ... used its
access to the Bush administration to block federal policies and shape
government communications on global warming":

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/ExxonMobil-GlobalWarming-tobacco.html
--------------------
Also, NASA climate scientist James Hansen in acceptance speech for
Sophie Prize, June, 2010, pulls no punches in stating the truth:

http://www.sofieprisen.no/Articles/514.html

"But our governments have no intention of solving the fossil fuel and
climate problem, as is easy to prove: the United States, Canadian and
Norwegian governments are going right ahead developing the tar sands,
which, if it is not halted, will make it impossible to stabilize
climate. Our governments knowingly abdicate responsibility for young
people and future generations."
-------------------
I posted May 19, 2011 to Vision2020 a June 2010 resolution from the
city council of Bellingham, Washington, that specifically raised the
issue of tar sands development and global warming, which I also sent
to the Moscow City Council and Mayor Cheney, which sank like a stone,
with no response here or otherwise specifically addressing the details
of this city council resolution:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2011-May/076616.html

[Vision2020] Bellingham, Wa. City Council Passes Resolution Jun. 2010:
"Whereas... Canada's Tar Sands Generates Three Times More Global
Warming Pollution..."

Note that Moscow Mayor Cheney's letter referenced here makes no
mention of the ultimate goals of the mega-loads, to expand tar sands
development, nor the consequences of this for anthropogenic climate
change.  I think this is a grevious ommission, that might have been
rather deliberate, to avoid the politics involved in a city mayor
introducing the global climate issue regarding what many would insist
is exclusively a local municipal matter.

And there is a factual basis for concern over introducing global
climate change into local politics, given Moscow Councilperson
Carscallen's public comments referenced earlier in this thread, that
appear to be an attempt to de-legitimize concerns exclusively focused
on the mega-loads impacts to highways, streets and the public in
general, implying the real agenda of some is an alternative energy
bias against oil, so if the mega-loads were wind turbines or solar
panels, objections would lessen.

Indeed, if playing the game of local politics for election, given the
sizable local voting block that is not as environmentally oriented as
the image of Moscow might suggest, avoiding taking an aggressive
stance against the tar sands bound mega-loads, because of the impacts
on climate change, is probably savvy strategy.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett