[Vision2020] A lesson from "Waters" How to Lie with Statistics

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Nov 2 14:53:44 PDT 2010

It is not clear if "Rob Waters" is actually your real name, but your posts resemble those of certain members of an infamous local cult whose methods of presentation use the tricks discussed in How to Lie with Statistics by Darrell Huff.

For example, your claim that moderately to very successful people pay 25% - 37% of their income in federal taxes.  Wrong!  See
http://www.taxfoundation.org/news/show/250.html  See Table 1.  You only exaggerated by doubling the percent.  25% - 37% is paid on the amount exceeding a certain net income amount (income after all tax breaks have been taken).  I leave it to you to read the actual figures presented and the accompanying discussion.

What you have also dishonestly omitted is that 2/3 of all for-profit U.S. corporations pay no federal income tax at all.  See
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/business/13tax.html

The rest of your so-called facts are similarly inaccurate and incomplete.

It didn't take long from your first appearance on Vision 2020 to show yourself as an arrogant liar.  Good luck in trying to engage anyone here in a meaningful discussion unless you give a believable source for your so-called facts.

People from all over the political continuum agree that tax laws need to be changed.  Lying does not help forward the discussion of this issue.  In your case it gives the impression that conservatives need to lie to attempt to persuade others that their position on tax policy is correct.  I don't think all conservatives lie, but those that do weaken the honest conservatives' positions and make all of us suspicious of their motives.

When I first read your posts, I thought:  "Here is some liberal trying to make conservatives look stupid and uninformed."  Perhaps that is the case, or your posts are attempt to distract some of us from other issues now simmering just below boil whose revelation might be found embarrassing by a number of people, or you really are stupid and uninformed.

Wayne A. Fox
1009 Karen Lane
PO Box 9421
Moscow, ID  83843