[Vision2020] J. K. Campbell's "Strawson's Free Will Naturalism" on U of I Website!?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 16:47:46 PST 2009

"Free will," whatever that means, is a critical concept that many assume
(excuse me?) to have a clear definition, in applying moral responsibility,
punishment in the legal system, or deciding who does or does not go to
heaven, in certain theological systems...

It seems your philosophical work on this problem should be a major focus on
Vision2020.

But many appear to need to scapegoat and blame others for what are assumed
to be "free" choices, without a calm rational fact based assessment of
whether this blame based on supposed "free" choice, has a scientific basis.

No doubt this process serves a social function, as scapegoating promotes
cohesion, for those who conform to the dominant control ideology or
ideologies of a society, while "otherness" that violates this consensus is
damned, a projected rebellion feared thus not expressed by those who reject
impulses to revolt in a manner that deconstructs the dominant ideologies...

"Just sayin" ...

Phrases To Be Banned: Just
Sayin'<http://gawker.com/5259560/phrases-to-be-banned-just-sayin>

http://gawker.com/5259560/phrases-to-be-banned-just-sayin

Just Sayin' is meant to be a puckish little disclaimer to convey, "I have no
vested interest in what I've just said. The preceding thought was meant only
to be informative and, in fact, I might not even believe what I just said."
Just sayin' is almost always used sarcastically and passive aggressively. It
is frequently the last phrase in a sentence or a thought. There are 2258
Lexis hits for Just sayin' and an astonishing 1,940,000 Google hits.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett