[Vision2020] Local Media Celebrity

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 09:01:31 PST 2009

Good points, Ted. Certainly my comments were a bit hyperbolic. Perhaps.

I'll try to get back to this later but I did not mean to indicate that
neither Hichens nor Wilson has an interesting world view. My point was
only that each adopts a world view which is essentially disrespectful
of the other side. For instance, Hitchens thinks religion is OK --
except the supernatural aspect. Just take God out of the picture and
everything is just fine, is essentially what he's saying. That is not
going to foster an interesting discussion. Note I'm not claiming that
Hitchens is wrong. There are lots of interesting people who adopt that
same world view; likely most professional philosophers adopt that same
world view. I just don't see it bringing about any interesting
discussion other than: "Supernatural means superstitious." "No, it
doesn't."

Trust me, one annoying point about this debate is this is metaphysics!
When I tell people I am a metaphysician, they laugh. Yet if you
discuss your metaphysics as if it were about politics and well being,
then you can write a best seller! I'm just passing that along to those
who might want fame! There are a host of issues here that I wouldn't
even attempt to address in a single course, let along a book or a
movie. This is an oversimplification of philosophy. As a philosopher,
this kind of stuff drives me up the wall. But I understand that
philosophy is open to all, so in the end there is nothing wrong with
it other than creating the illusion that one is really doing
philosophy.

I'll have more to say but I don't think that you can have an
interesting, philosophical discussion if both parties find the other
view silly, or evil, or stupid, or dangerous. Better to talk about
some aspect of the debate upon which both sides agree and then try to
move from there. But what would that be, in this case? I have not read
Hichens but I did meet him and based on that conversation I came away
believing that both parties agree that Christianity = Conservative
Fundamentalism. Again, the conversation after that is not interesting
to me -- but I never said it wouldn't draw a crowd! Nor did I say it
wasn't a worthy conversation. Everyone is entitled to her own beliefs,
and to express them.

Best, Joe