[Vision2020] 'Obama Tags' Called a Joke

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 05:52:05 PDT 2009

Just one comment on some of the last bit of this.

Andreas wrote:  "While I feel that 'well you didn't condemn your own
side, either!' is a fair point to make, either people making
vague threats against the President deserve to be condemned, or they
don't."

First, there is not enough time in the day to condemn everyone who
does something wrong. If this were a fair point, you could make the
same point everytime anyone condemned anyone.

Second, Crabtree does make this same stupid point -- an instance of
the fallacy of two wrongs make a right -- anytime a progressive
critcizes a conservative. It should be noted that it is a fallacy
everytime he makes it. Of course, that might not be possible given the
number of times he does it.

Third, the point you make at the end is exactly right. Either they are
both wrong or they are not. I have no problem saying that the Obama
sign folk (it seems that there is only one guy we're talking about
here) is wrong. It is wrong for anyone to threaten to kill someone,
just as it is wrong to make fun of someone's tumor two days after he
died from it. Life is sacred. Of course you're not going to hear any
admission of this from Crabtree, who doesn't seem to think that this
sort of thing is wrong, as he made clear.

Fourth, as you also note there is a huge difference in the two cases
since in one case the insulting comment came from the stage, from an
actual Republican candidate. As you note, candidates have little
control over what kinds of signs folks hold at their gatherings. But
they do have control over what they say.

Lastly, it is nice to know that several Republicans in the state were
outraged by the comment, too, and have publically condemned it.

Sent from my iPhone