[Vision2020] So You Think Houses are Expensive in Moscow?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 20:18:36 PDT 2007

I strongly urge people as well to check out the websites Debbie Gray listed. That is the surest way to demonstrate that Saundra Lund doesn't understand that Moscow rental rents are not affordable to their $5.87 an hour wage earners.

  According to these two sites she linked;

  50% of Latah County residents cannot afford a 2 bedroom apartment.
  http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2006/data.cfm?getcounty=on&county=571&state=ID

  46% of Orange County residents cannot afford a 2 bedroom apartment.
  http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2006/data.cfm?getcounty=on&county=359&state=FL

  According to these same two sites;

  The average Latah County resident must work 72 hours to afford their rent.
  The average Orange County resident only works 48 hours to afford rent.

  Last time I checked, 72 hours of work is much harder than 48 hours of work.

  Now in all fairness, a minimum wage worker would have to work harder in Orange County than in Latah to afford housing. But of course there are not that many people working for actual minimum wage in Orange County, people work for market rates.

  In Latah, the average renter only earns a wage of $5.87 an hour. In Orange County that average renter wage is $13.09 an hour, or 236% higher. Yet the rent is not even 200% higher.

  The second issue here is that Ms. Lund claimed I was liar for saying that the average household income in Orange County was about $65,000 a year. Yet the site she claims makes me a liar, points to the figure being $57,400, or just $7600 a year difference. Saundra, on the other hand, claimed the average household income was under just over $35,000 a year, or about $22,600 off.

  Let me also include that Moscow's per household income is skewed because more housing units have more wage earners/adults and more people per unit. Also is the fact that Moscow's housing age, that is the average age of a housing units, is older than many other cities, particularly fast growing ones like ones in Orange County that keep building new housing units.

  So I will let the people on Vision 2020 decide if they would like to make $13.09 an hour and pay $800 a month for a 2 bedroom, or if they think making $5.87 an hour and paying $575 a month for a 2 bedroom is a better deal. I personally would rather only work 48 hours a month for rent than 72.

  I can appreciate that Saundra, sitting in the upper income bracket in Moscow, would feel that Moscow is very affordable. But put her as a checker at the Co-Op and she might feel differently about rental rates in Moscow.

  Best,

  Donovan

Saundra Lund <sslund at roadrunner.com> wrote:

  Visionaries:

I apologize in advance for bringing this topic back up & risking drawing
Donovan's ad hominem attacks yet again, but it really bothers me that
Donovan jumps at every opportunity -- real or imagined -- in attempts to
make Moscow & Latah County look bad.

In this instance, he repeatedly tried to make the case that housing in
Orlando, FL was more affordable than here in Latah County.

In case there's anyone out there who might not have caught the errors in
Donovan's arguments, I invite you to check out:
http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2006/data.cfm?getcounty=on&county=571&state=ID
(or http://tinyurl.com/ypk76y)
AND
http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2006/data.cfm?getcounty=on&county=359&state=FL
(or http://tinyurl.com/29djtk)

No matter what smoke & mirrors Donovan ill-advisedly tries to use to portray
our area in a negative light, rental housing is more affordable right here
in Latah County than it is in Orange County, FL :-)

I doubt that surprises anyone, and I again reiterate that I vehemently
dispute Donovan's claim that "we arrive at the same conclusions that Moscow
housing is least affordable in comparisons to most other cities around the
country." Please feel free to poke around the site Debbie Gray provided
(http://www.nlihc.org/oor/oor2006/) to compare Latah County to the locations
of your choosing.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund. Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****