[Vision2020] Weitz is a civic terrorist?

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:10:52 PDT 2007

Ms. Emerinemix,

I don't know if there is any merit to Dr. Weitz's claim.  I believe that the
foundation for any argument is "is this position valid?"   With something as
complex and potentially dangerous and damaging as the illlegality of a
tax-based ballot measure, I have no problem with someone questions its
validity.  Dr. Weitz has wisely chosen to use the law to determine if his
claim has merit.  Many will discount this as "frivolity" and cite a laundry
list of reasons based on gut-wrenching emotion (oh the poor kids!  The poor
teachers!  The poor administration!) and avoid considering a more insidious
outcome of allowing a group to unfairly and inappropriately tax the public
for whatever it is they want (be it schools, roads, parks, athletic
centers).  This potentially could set a precedence by which any group could
do the same thing.  If Dr. Weitz's claim has no legal merit, then why would
MSD have any concern?  I for one would rather see the law surrounding this
issue clearly delineated than to see some other, possibly more unsavory
group, use the same tactics to fund their particular interest.

Schwaller

"The bigger they are, the harder they fall on you"
     Mark Knopfler