[Vision2020] Al Gore wins an Oscar for...

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 17:00:59 PST 2007

Debbie wrote:

On 3/2/07, Debbie Gray <graylex at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dan, you're not convinced of global warming or you're
> not convinced that Al Gore is offsetting his power
> consumption/etc by purchasing CO2 reductions?
>
> CO2 reductions are a very innovative way to reduce CO2
> outputs OVERALL. Whether he does it by using
> solar/wind power and lives totally off the grid OR by
> purchasing CO2 reductions, the net reduction in CO2
> outputs is the same.
>
> How is this hypocritical?  And how does it change his
> message?

Given Al Gore's wealth, wouldn't he make even more of a powerful statement
if he purchased green power to offset the CO2 emissions connected to his
lifestyle, and also downsized his energy consumption, thus reducing CO2
outputs even more?  Not everyone has the disposable wealth to purchase CO2
reductions connected to their outputs, as Al Gore can.

For Al Gore to be living with such a high rate of energy consumption does
set a bad example, to my mind, and so the charges of hypocrisy have some
merit, though I do not think this damages the objective facts regarding the
warnings about global warming that Al Gore is to be applauded for
publicizing.

Purchasing CO2 credits for green power or on the carbon trading markets is a
partial solution to the global warming crisis, but downsizing energy
consumption in absolute amounts is absolute necessary to achieve the
reductions in CO2 atmospheric output that are necessary, and is especially
critical  in the USA, with the highest per capita energy consumption of any
nation on Earth.

The USA in general sets a poor example for the world given our per capita
energy consumption.  And many of the citizens of poorer nations cannot
afford to purchase green energy credits to offset their CO2 outputs.  They
need all the fossil fuel energy they are using just to attempt to bring
themselves out of poverty.  Alternative energy is a luxury for these nations
they cannot afford.

Ted Moffett