[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: church and paintball

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 00:05:29 PDT 2007

All-

Given the subject heading of "church and paintball," and the subsequent
discussion of knowing fantasy from reality when playing sports or games, it
seems appropriate to point out that many of the absolutely held beliefs
that organized religions aggressively promote, represent far more of an
encouragement of a breakdown of the fantasy/reality boundary, than playing
paintball could ever inspire.

I'm far more concerned about religions that teach that women must
be subservient to men, that Gay individuals are deserving of punishment,
that the scientific evidence for evolution or the age of the solar system
and Earth must be denied, that the second coming is at hand, thus the
Earth's environment is secondary, that only one book is the true revealed
message from God, and other books claiming the same are delusional, that the
heretics or infidels that follow the delusional book must be defeated,
and that martyrdom in this cause guarantees a place in heaven, etc., than I
am of churches encouraging paint ball games, unless this is part of their
training to defeat the heretics or infidels.  When people are willing to die
in terrorist attacks, or ignore catastrophic threats to the
Earth's environment, due to firmly held religious beliefs that are almost
certainly a fantasy, the breakdown of the fantasy/reality boundary is a very
serious problem threatening humanity.

The Temple of Reason, anyone?  I don't agree with all of Sam Harris's
arguments or beliefs, but I applaud his courage to address these problems
head on:

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/369_Harris.pdf

Ted Moffett