[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: church and paintball

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 16:27:52 PDT 2007

All-

Paint ball games can result in serious injury.  I was once in the Kibbie
Dome when a "kid" came into the bathroom in desperate condition.  He headed
for the sink, and was splashing water over and over onto his face.  At first
I could not understand what the problem was.  But one glance at his eyes
explained his desperation.  One eye was a horrifying mess... I won't give a
graphic poetic description, but there was more red (i.e. blood) present in
his eye than the usual tints, and this was not the result of the paint
color. He was at least temporarily blinded in that eye, according to his
statements.  I asked how this happened, and he had been playing paint ball
games without goggles, an absolute must for this sport.  I asked if he
needed help, and he said his "friends" were already calling for help.

We appear to take the risks of serious injury in sports as a given in our
society, risks that are assumed to be worth the benefits of the sports.  On
average, a high school student dies every year as a direct result of
injuries due to playing football; and I mean a death that would not have
occurred except for the violent nature of how the sport is played, not a
death that was a result of a heart condition or some other physical malady
that might have claimed the life anyway eventually.  Numerous other high
school students playing football incur non-fatal injuries that result in
life long impairments.

Given these facts, paint ball is probably less of a "warrior" sport involved
in teaching the mentality of conquerors, than football is.  I have never
heard of someone dying due to playing paint ball.

So if church groups were encouraging full tackle football games, should this
inspire concern?  Given a comparison between football and paint ball in
terms of the physical risks and mentality these sports encourage, it
would seem so, and even more so for football;  thus every high school in the
USA is also deserving of this focus.

Football is so embedded in our culture as an accepted popular sport, that to
criticize football is akin to mocking mom, apple pie or the flag... Get
ready for the backlash!

Ted Moffett