[Vision2020] Compassion for All Life

Tony tonytime at clearwire.net
Fri Jan 26 17:42:19 PST 2007

Nick, your revered logic would dictate to me that the ONLY species out of how many millions on this planet that is capable of sending space probes beyond the solar system, composing great works of literature or carving David from solid marble, is reasonably viewed as superior to the other lesser endowed species.  Is our existence no more remarkable than a muskrat when we can compose poetry or construct the Twin Towers?

Yes, human being is a biological category, but one of extraordinary uniqueness, endowed over and above the others in a myriad of ways.  They are also, according to our Declaration, deserving of and endowed with, certain unalienable rights, one of which is the right to life.  And therein your dilemma.  You can cling tenaciously to an irrelevancy, are they persons or non persons, but you cannot deny their humanity.  It seems Nick, that you pick and choose which written declarations you will adhere to.  I suppose we all must.  Is the Supreme Court the entity I most trust in deciding these matters, or do I rely on the wisdom of those who drafted the Declaration of Independence and our Constitution?  Guess I'll stick with the latter.  You apparently prefer the former, as is your right.  I will continue to oppose the premeditated killing of innocent human beings, but I am willing to agree to disagree with you if you choose a different path.

Sincerely,   -Tony