[Vision2020] The Bible and the Constitution

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 26 20:13:49 PDT 2007

Nick and Sunil ignore the truth and try to make their own:

  "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.”--Thomas Jefferson

  If one doesn't believe in God, then one cannot believe in unalienable rights of humans. All rights, to those that do not believe in a God, must alternatively believe that all rights derived from the minds of men. If rights are not given and taken by God, then they are only given and taken by men, which gives no man any unalienable rights from his fellow humans.

  Where does your right not to be send to Guantanamo Bay as a terrorist, tortured, and held indefinitely with no access to a legal representation come from? You have no appeal other than the wisdom and say so of flawed rich white men that died two centuries ago and the opinions of others today.

  I don't believe the right to freely practice your faith, the right not to endure unfair punishment, the right to own and protect your property and your livelihood comes from Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, John Jay, John Hancock, and other rich white privileged men from centuries past, I think those rights came a long time ago by God, and it was only they, using their Christian upbringing that were able to put them crudely into a government document.

  "We hold these truths to be self evident" would not have meaning, unless one believed in a divine authority in which that self evidence is predicated.

  Best,

  Donovan

Nick Gier <ngier at uidaho.edu> wrote:
  Greetings:

I think that conservative evangelical theologian Carl Henry, author of the largest work of systematic theology in American history, got it right when he declared that the Bible grants rights only to God and strict duties to his created men and women, whom he owns, according to John Locke, because he has mixed his labor with the dust of the earth to create them.  We should all admire Locke, but this was one holler that got by his otherwise thoroughly liberal mind.

So much for biblical foundations for the American Constitution or any other liberal democratic state for that matter.

Nick Gier, proud theistic humanist along with many other founding American thinkers