[Vision2020] The Bible and the Constitution

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 21:37:02 PDT 2007

On 8/26/07, Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nick and Sunil ignore the truth and try to make their own:
>
> "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal,
> that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that
> among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."--Thomas
> Jefferson
>
> If one doesn't believe in God, then one cannot believe in unalienable rights
> of humans. All rights, to those that do not believe in a God, must
> alternatively believe that all rights derived from the minds of men. If
> rights are not given and taken by God, then they are only given and taken by
> men, which gives no man any unalienable rights from his fellow humans.

As Donovan may be surprised to learn, God Himself does not directly
intervene in human politics in order to ensure our rights -- either
that, or He was only recently convinced of the virtues of
republicanism over monarchy. Prior to the United States, there had
never been a real Christian republic*.

Unfortunately, contra our founding fathers, we have to do the dirty
work of ensuring our own rights. Eh. Such is life.

-- ACS

* Periods of oligarchy in the Netherlands, England, and Italy notwithstanding.