[Vision2020] Martyr

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Nov 21 10:43:43 PST 2006

Greetings:

If Calvin had not been in Geneva, the probability of Servetus being
arrested and burned would have been very low.  I gladly corrected my
earlier error that Calvin lit the fire, and then challenged Ben to request
that his father-in-law correct his errors.  Of course there was no
reciprocity on that point, because Kirkers moved of by an unholy spirit do
not make errors.

Yes, Calvin was not a citizen of Geneva, but as the theological head of the
community, he always got what he wanted. Ever since Servetus had failed to
show up for a debate on the Trinity in Paris, Calvin had been "gunning" for
him and he made sure that he was killed for his theological
"mistakes."  Right at the last, Calvin did plead for beheading, as Servetus
had requested, but the city fathers knew very well that burning heretics
alive (over a slow fire) was the only way to eliminate those of Wrong Mind
by those who have Right Mind.

Contrary to what is posted here, Calvin could not possibly find any
biblical justification for killing a heretic.  The New Testament punishment
for "wrong" belief was banishment not death.  As Ralph always says: Read
your Bibles for Heaven's Sake!

If the religious liberalism of early Unitarianism had won out, Europe would
have been spared thousands upon thousands of lives and the massive
destruction of farms and cities, all because of "right-minded" Christians
killing one another.

The world had to wait 250 years for Unitarian inspired Americans to write a
Constitution protecting people's freedom to believe or not to believe.  As
the Episcopal Bishop Bird Wilson said in October, 1831: "Among all our
presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion,
at least not of more than Unitarianism."

>Ralph,
>
>I'm glad that you brought this back up. Both you and Nick cannot seem to
>get the facts correct in this case (and with 37 years of accurate
>writing). Ben Merkle pointed these things out to Nick previously. Maybe
>Nick can post the emails on his university owned blog site.
>
>It was the city council that bbq'd Servetus. It was the city council that
>held the trial. It was the court that found him guilty. And it was the
>city sheriff that carried out the sentence.
>
>Calvin was only called as an expert witness at his trial. (I will get the
>citation for his testimony later) Calvin was called to testify about what
>constitutes heresy from a biblical perspective. Calvin was not even a
>voting member of the magisterial.

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the application of it to human
affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates in human beings who
represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of any system cannot be
discovered by dividing it into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed on the whole and on the
interconnection between the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut between science, religion, and
art. The whole is never equal simply to the sum of its various parts."
--Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm