[Vision2020] Family Housing flooded: Re; school facilities di scussion

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Wed Mar 29 17:18:18 PST 2006

Donovan,

Paradise Creek more than overflowed on that site, it poured in.  I know, I
was there.   The bottom rooms were flooded up a couple of feet and there was
significant erosion around the southern most portion of the western complex.
It was a mess.   West Park's southern wall was exposed to flood water and
held.  The contour of the land around the building directed water back to
the creek and off the playground.

The new channel protects the Rec. Center, the Towers, the Wallace Complex
and will keep the creek from backing up too much above the power plant site.
The wide flood channel between 8th street and Highway 95 next to the large
parking lot will also hold a lot more water than it used to but still that
area will still back up given a big enough flood as that land is only a few
feet above the creek.  On the latest FEMA flood plain map of Moscow I can
guarantee the old apartment location is in the 100 year flood plain.

If I were a planner for the UI, MSD, or the City, I would just avoid further
development in that area and leave it as park land, why take a chance and
mess up.  All the flood channels, landscape sculpting, and so forth cannot
stop what occurs naturally.

Chris

  _____