[Vision2020] Trinity Fest Concerns

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 22 23:59:49 PDT 2006

Last year, on 4 Aug 2005, at 4:09pm, Gabe Rench, the "security expert" for
the Trinity Fest, released a Press Release describing the evening's doin's
at the Trinity Fest 2005's "community event."  In it, he specifically stated
"There will also be a beer and wine garden roped off for those who would
like to buy from the local venders."
(http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2005-August/019175.html)

That claim was challenged by both Mrs. Huskey and myself; at 4:16pm on 4 Aug
2005, Gabe stated: "We were supposed to have all our permits in order for
the Garden, but I miss communicated with our vender and so we couldn't apply
in time for the Tuesday night event. Sorry for those who are disappointed
about the beer and wine garden. Hope to see yall there! Cheers!"

Within 5 minutes, Gabe states there is a wine/beer garden - but then that
there is not.

Gabe was also apparently involved with hiring/supervising the "security" for
Trinity Fest 2005, yet according to his statement to the City Council on 19
June 2006, he was not aware of any issues that had come up during that
event.  However, if you listen to what he says, it gets confusing yet
again..."I was aware some complaints that were brought to the table just a
couple of weeks ago."  He goes on to state "I never heard of any complaints
last year so I don't know how valid those complaints are."

Question 1:  Was he aware of the complaints last year (as he specifically
stated on Monday) or was he not?

Question 2:  Are they not valid simply because he may not have been aware of
them?  He says several time in his statement that he does not feel they (the
complaints) are valid because he did not know about them until "they were
brought to the table a couple of weeks ago."

He further states that he is going to "beef up" the security this year "just
because".  The term "beefing up" tends to denote a type of increase that
would make it impossible for people to miss the security which denotes there
was a problem LAST year which denotes or at least *implies* knowledge (as he
specifically states.)

Again, he says "I assume you want us to have 2 Moscow PD officers on
Credenda Agenda's account."

Question 3:  WHAT account?  What does that mean?

Question 4:  Why in this world would you "assume" the City Council wants 2
MPD?  Assumptions are based on knowledge, to some extent, and so I am
wondering just what his "assume"ing is based upon.

Gabe also says "We're beefing up security to help Basillios and The Garden
get more access and the tenants in the Moscow Hotel get access to their
residences."  BUT, a bit later he AGAIN states he does not feel the
complaints about lack of access were valid because he did not know about
them.  "Obviously last year was our first year and there's gonna be problems
with your first year and we're willing to work with that and make it
better."  Again, does this not denote knowledge of a problem that repeatedly
was being denied as being valid?

He will also be "beefing the security" to avoid any problems of people using
the Moscow Hotel steps as a place to sit during the evening.

Question 5:  Did anyone ask Moscow Hotel if they want *his* security guards
"permanently" stationed on their steps?  Since Gabe is denying there was a
problem last year in regards to the access issue, and he had security guards
there LAST year, what makes it any better this year, to set the situation up
the same way?

Gabe is also responsible for *scheduling* of vendors for this event;
however, he has lined up Patty's but not totally secured ("a Mediterranean
vendor [who] served food - I think they're from Lewiston"; he hasn't
actually talked to them yet this year) nor even talked to a third vendor -
but there will be a third one...he hopes.  BTW, this event is scheduled for
8 Aug 2006...short notice for any vendor to come up with an evening's worth
of food for 700(+) people.

The Garden and Basillio's have, according to Gabe's statement, refused to
talk to him or even return his phone calls about this event.  Last year he
"did get several rejections from several different companies."

CLUE: Maybe this event shouldn't be held in the CBD so to avoid any problems
like those that DID occur last year!!!  Mayhap the downtown businesses don't
WANT to have this kind of thing blocking their business for 5 hours,
especially since he has yet to talk to them about it *this* year.

Another concern is the fact that wherever they set up the beer/wine garden,
this will be within a very short distance of the playground area where
children will be playing and hanging out.  It's a small area...and the
beer/wine garden will be all but sitting in the laps of these children.

Question 6:  Just how many "security guards" will be stationed around the
play area to guard the children from interacting with people who have/will
be drinking?

Question 7:  Just what kind of training or experience will these "security
guards" have that would enable them to spot a person, much less take care of
a person, that has partaken a bit too much of what the beer/wind garden will
be offering?

Question 8:  How many drinks will any one person or persons be allowed to
buy during the evening and who is going to say "enough"?

Question 9:  Is there any reason this event could not have been held in the
East Side Park, where the beer/wind garden could be placed at a safer
distance from the children's play area?

One or two questions I have for the City:

Question 10:  Why is it that this issue is not opened to a public hearing so
that those with LEGITIMATE concerns can be heard before you allow this type
of event to be given a green light?

Neither C/A, CC, nor even NSA (sponsors/event holders) pays taxes and yet
the City will be providing MPD as well as public street area for an event
that does NOT benefit anyone but those three entities directly or
indirectly.

Gabe told the Admin Committee that the new CC-congregant-owned business in
the NSA building will be opened by the date of the event and that THEY will
be providing the food - at a cost to the event attendees, of course.

Question 11:  Why not put out a resolution that any beer/wine request for
ANY City Park be open to public comment?

It seems to me that the added traffic issues, the noise issues and the
possible DWI issues an event like this is likely to create dictates the
public's interests and concerns should be heard by the City Council before
it just grants an event like this "carte blanche."

J  :]

P.S.  Ok fellas - let's have the sports talk