[Vision2020] Trinity Fest Concerns re City Council

Linda Pall lpall at moscow.com
Fri Jun 23 15:04:36 PDT 2006

Dear Visionaries,

As chair of the Administrative Committee and the only "no" vote to the
proposal, I am offering just a brief bit of background and one council
member's response to the questions posed.

Permission to use city facilities is usually delegated to staff unless a
specific ordinance or policy dictates otherwise. The serving of alcohol in
Moscow parks is one of those uses the Council, in the past, determined
should be by resolution on strictly a case by case basis, with any
resolution allowing the use of alcohol NOT acting in any way as a precedent
authorizing future use. The only city facility where the use of alcohol is
permitted with a catering permit is the Great Room of the 1912 Center. If
you or I want to have a function in any Moscow Park and serve beer and wine,
we must submit an application to the Council.

 Now to the questions:
"Question 10:  Why is it that this issue is not opened to a public hearing
so that those with LEGITIMATE concerns can be heard before you allow this
type of event to be given a green light?"

Short answer: The City does not have a 'public hearing' but the issue has
been discussed in open, advertised, public meetings, with public comment on
the topic welcome: three Administrative Committee meetings and one City
Council meeting.

Read more about it: The application to sell beer and wine is heard by the
Administrative Committee of the Council. Note that this is NOT the
application to use the park or the arrangements for park use. That matter is
delegated to staff and the Parks and Recreation Department administers the
scope, concerns and arrangements for the event outside the serving of beer
and wine.

The Administrative Committee meeting is open to the public and matters
related to the sale and consumption of beer and wine (whether it should be
done, where, how, etc.) to be part of the Resolution are fair game for
council members, staff and citizens. The Administrative Committee can make a
recommendation or simply forward the proposal to the full Council for
decision at a Council meeting. The Council meeting is a public event and the
Mayor can request public comment at that time. A 'public hearing' is
technically an event that is formally noticed because of a legal requirement
to do so (federal, state or local law), connected to a quasi-judicial
proceeding. A public meeting allows the Mayor to open the proceedings to
public comment, which was why it was on the advertised public agenda on June
19. The issues addressed concerning the serving of alcohol could have been
brought up by any interested citizen on June 19; the questions about the
event and its management are dealt with by Parks and Recreation staff but
even those were included in a discussion Monday night which extended beyond
the agenda item.

One other matter: the City does not pay for additional police presence at
these events. After a misunderstanding with another event, the Council
clarified the requirements of security and delegated that to the Police
Chief to be satisfied that the security issues for any alcohol consupmtion
are adequately addressed in his or her professional opinion, including the
option of providing private security arrangements.

"Question 11:  Why not put out a resolution that any beer/wine request for
ANY City Park be open to public comment?"

The City already does this (see above). There is no 'carte blanche' granting
of permission. Each application is considered individually and no
application is issued as a right of the event promoter.

One of the more problematic issues in the August 8 application is the
Friendship Square location and the proximity of the playground. Almost 30
years ago, I organized a statewide issues conference called "Idaforum" for
the Idaho Democratic Party in Moscow, first in 1977 and again in 1979. They
were both highly successful and included each time a downtown 'midsummer
night's eve' component with Friendship Square entertainment and refreshments
but no alcohol (except if you went into one of the bars or restaurants). It
was fun for the guests, it was good for downtown and it showed off our
community as a bright, welcoming, fun place. Having events downtown and
getting broad community involvement and support was a good idea then... and
that was BEFORE our sidewalk cafes, downtown trees on Main Street and our
first downtown revitalization. It's still a good idea!

Enjoy the summer, Visionaries.

All the best,

Linda Pall
Moscow City Council