[Vision2020] Learning to read - a First Grade skill

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Jun 16 23:27:14 PDT 2005

Visionaries and Donovan,

Careful reading is a useful skill Donovan - and one that seems to have
escaped you.

In fact, the rental for the Kibbie Dome - catch that word rental, Donovan? -
for the Trinity Festival, an event which runs from  Sunday morning until
Wednesday night, is $3,000.   Basic math is the next skill needed here.  Let's see
$3,000 divided by 4  (hold on to you hat, Donovan, this is tricky) is
$750/day.  It is not  rocket science, it is 4th grade math.  And, guess what? It is
exactly what  Saundra said it was.

Are there associated costs?  Of course.  However, they are not  rental, they
are for setting up - breaking down - and custodial service.   They total
$6,000.  Hell bells, don't take my word for it - take a look at  the actual
contract which is scanned and up on line at:
_http://www.tomandrodna.com/TF2K5/Documents/Contract%20110304.pdf_
(http://www.tomandrodna.com/TF2K5/Documents/Contract%20110304.pdf)

Further, the standard fee for non-profit organizations to rent the Kibbie
Dome is $2,000/day (the Dome management figures a 20 hour day in this
situation).  You tell us, Donovan, why a four day rental (and don't confuse  the issue
with such difficult additional problems  as set up and break  down) doesn't
come out to $8,000?  No answer, Donovan?  Don't feel too  badly about it, the UI
doesn't have one either.  Maybe they need you back  in the Senate?  No, on
second thought, probably not.

Of course the entire event will cost more than $6,300 because more is
involved than use of the building.  If one is planning a jazzy event, one  needs
audio support, stages, chairs, etc.  Let's take a close look at that  part of the
contract next.
_http://www.tomandrodna.com/TF2K5/Documents/Financial_Estimate_052604_1.pdf_
(http://www.tomandrodna.com/TF2K5/Documents/Financial_Estimate_052604_1.pdf)

Please notice that this is the billing estimate from Conferences and  Events.
Do you see the red box, Donovan?  I grant you that the numbers are  hard to
read but second grade math comes to the rescue.  The  first line below
Conferences and Events says:
PRODUCTION SUPPORT  SUBTOTAL            24,  320.00

 the next line says: EVENTS SERVICES EQUIPMENT DONATIONS (50% OFF) $7,  160.00

next line:
PRODUCTION SUPPORT GRAND  TOTAL        $17,160.00

News Flash, Donovan:  You have just seen the operation of subtraction  taking
place.  $24,320 minus 7,160 equals:  $17,160.00

Here is the only real question of interest, why the donation?   The Idaho
constitution appears to forbid the use of state money for sectarian  events.
Don't believe me, Donovan?  Try this link out:
_http://www.idsos.state.id.us/elect/stcon/articl09.htm_
(http://www.idsos.state.id.us/elect/stcon/articl09.htm)

A summary of the expenditures related to the Kibbie Dome and Conferences  and
events can be found at:
_http://www.tomandrodna.com/images/Estimated_Program_Budget_110304_01.jpg_
(http://www.tomandrodna.com/images/Estimated_Program_Budget_110304_01.jpg)

However, this is not the end of the story.  Saundra and I filed  another
public records request today.  This one includes copies of  contracts for the use
of the Student Union Ballroom, the Arboretum, the Golf  Course and the UI
Auditorium.  It is our sincere hope that none of this  organizations are
"donating" any more of our tax dollars to this  event.   We shall see, and we shall ask
our webmaster to post the  results of our public records request, just as we
always do.  One  of the many differences between us, Donovan, is that we don't
blow hot air  and half-assed opinions, we provide independent documentation
to buttress  our arguments.

The fact of the matter appears to be, Donovan, that either you are  unable or
unwilling to absorb the reading material available.   Your email was based on
a foundational mis-understanding of the word rent,  and an event greater
ignorance of the other costly factors involved in staging  another non-history
conference.

Your careful editing of Saundra's post, Donovan, overlooks the central part
of her message which, in essence is the same message I posted above.

"Of *course* your Trinity Festival is going to cost more than just the  Dome
rental because you are making your Festival a production :-)  As  you should
be well aware, the facility rental -- the sole topic of my post --  is
separate from other services provided by say . . . Events  Services,
University Dining Services, ITS Video Services, administrative  service fees,
liability insurance, concession stands, printing, security,  etc."
http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2005-March/015168.html

So, Donovan, why don't you turn that clever little mind of yours to ponder
the meaning of the word "donations." Sort out the reason for decreased rental
fees (remember the $2,000 x 4 days = $ $8,000.  When you get those issues
settled maybe then you will have time to explain to the rest of us why you  spend
so much time spinning your wheels and sputtering over  non-issues.

Rose Huskey

PS  The only apology due around here is from the Kirk - for bringing  this
dog and pony show back to the University.
And by the way, when I add the  $5,000 rent price break, to the donation of
$7,160 I get $12,160 that is going  scot free to the Kirk.  And you know what?
I don't feel so good about  that.