[Vision2020] Public prayer on public money

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Aug 19 09:08:06 PDT 2005

Donovan writes:

"If we are to take your literal interpretation of his words, churches would not have mass and worship, which is public prayer."

Gee, Donovan, maybe you are finally catching on.

There have been and are many scholars who have argued that Jesus intended to make belief in God much, much more private than it was in his times.  He certainly appeared to be crusading not only for certain ethical beliefs but against the corruption and hypocrisy of the organized church of his times.

These scholars argue that Jesus believed that faith should be spread person to person and that organizing faith leads to corruption, hypocrisy, and divisiveness.  There is no doubt what-so-ever that the last phrase of the last sentence is empirically true.

Of course we do not know what Jesus actually said let alone why he said it.  The Jesus Seminar composed of many very prominent Christian scholars and theologians have concluded that Jesus did not say about 85% of the things attributed to him in the bible.

Public officials ought be making their decisions on the best available information not on untestable ignorance and superstition driven by fear, greed, and the egomaniacal, megalomaniacal need to control.  Instead of praying, they might spend that time educating themselves more completely about the matters they with.  If they or their constituents need to pray like a junkie needs a fix, they can at any time pray silently.  No one, not even you Donavan, can abridge their freedom to do so.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com