[WSBARP] WSBARP Digest, Vol 108, Issue 19

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Mon Sep 25 12:45:55 PDT 2023

I guess I am a bit confused as they are just asking you to use the language
specifically required in the statute? Why exactly is that wrong legal
advice?

While I can appreciate the frustration with what are often seemingly
erroneous (and sometimes just wrong) requirements by recording officers,
the language in this - aside from simply enforcing the statute - sounds
like what the courts have long held as the requirements for a valid legal
description. That smacks of ... uniformity? which I see as a good thing?

It sounds like they just allowed non-compliant descriptions in the past.
Replacing old forms of legal descriptions with newer references and aiming
for some consistency may be annoying in that it requires a little digging
if you're the first to blaze the path for that property, but I can see
sense in it (aside from, again, simply following the statute).

I can also understand the disclaimer about using legals from the assessor's
office, given that people too often point to that in legal challenges
(i.e., try to say that using the assessor's description equates using a
proper legal description in a legal document, notwithstanding the
disclaimer on the assessor's site).

I think in practice on the first go around you can use the short-hand on
the assessor's site as a vast majority of the time it will be correct. If
it gets kicked back, there are many free ways to look into it. As someone
suggested, anyone dealing in property is well served to make connections
with title officers, who will typically look up such things as a courtesy.
Also, these days so many property documents are online, I've been able to
locate legals in prior recorded deeds.

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.