[WSBARP] Limits on use of exclusive easement

Stromberg, Spencer spencer at lucentlaw.com
Wed Aug 2 16:37:28 PDT 2023

I'm sure you already know some or all of the following, but I'm just
throwing out some thoughts along with snippets from some briefing and CLE
presentation materials. I hope it's helpful.

I think the answer here is going to depend on the precise terms of the
easement. The fact that it's "exclusive" isn't necessarily determinative of
whether it can be used to access 4 lots created out of 1. The exclusive
language could easily just mean the grantor (owner of parcel A) can't use
it or can't grant others the right to use it. It sounds to me like you (or
your client) are using "exclusive" to mean "in gross" - i.e. personal to
the grantee - but since easements in gross are disfavored, it seems
unlikely it would be interpreted that way.

In regard to exclusivity, take a look at Johnson v. Lake Cushman Maint.
Co., 5 Wn. App. 2d 765, 425 P.3d 560 (2018) and the Idaho case it relies
on.

In regard to in gross vs. appurtenant easements, take a look at 810
Properties v. Jump, 141 Wn.App. 688, 170 P.3d 1209 (Div. 3 2007):  "An
easement in gross directly benefits one person, and easement appurtenant
benefits a particular piece of property." M.K.K.I., Inc. v. Krueger, 135
Wash.App. 647, 655, 145 P.3d 411 (2006), review denied, 161 Wash.2d 1012,
166 P.3d 1217 (2007). Easements in gross are not favored; it is strongly
presumed that an easement is appurtenant. Id.; Pioneer Sand & Gravel Co. v.
Seattle Constr. & Dry Dock Co., 102 Wash. 608, 173 P. 508 (1918).

I think if the easement describes both the burdened (parcel A) and
benefitted (parcel B) land, then it would likely be held to be appurtenant.

Generally speaking, easements can be used to access the resulting parcels
when the original parcel is subdivided. See Richardson v. Cox, 108 Wn. App.
881, 26 P.3d 970 (Div. 3 2001), amended, 34 P.3d 828 (2001) and the Logan
case Catherine Clark sent (it's cited by Richardson).

It seems to me if the easement says it is limited to one single-family
residence or something of that nature, your client has a problem, but if it
just uses standard "ingress and egress" language, the subdivision of the
property probably isn't an issue under Richardson and Logan.

*Spencer A. W. Stromberg*
Attorney at Law

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.828.4644
F: +1.509.455.3718 (must dial 1 before area code)
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com

lucentlaw.com <https://www.lucentlaw.com/>
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/lucentlaw>
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/lucent-law>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/LucentLaw>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email
or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify me and delete it from your system.