[WSBARP] WSBARP Digest, Vol 107, Issue 1

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Thu Aug 3 13:16:21 PDT 2023

I think if you look at the cases, it's still pretty clear - the question of
whether money changes hands is flat out not part of the equation. It's
whether the use is "residential" in nature. Meals and recreational
activities - if simply offering the amenities of the association - are
residential. Now, if they were operating say a tour business off the
property, that's a business. But has to be something outside how a resident
would use it. That's really the key: are the "activities" the same as
someone living there as a resident would? if so, it's "residential" for
purposes of covenants.

The really crappy thing is that it is nigh impossible for an association to
bar use of properties as short-term rentals unless the covenants already
made some reference to the time required/prohibited by leases. A look
at *Wilkenson
*alone might lead one to think that so long as the covenants discuss
"rentals" that you can amend to prohibit short-term rentals, and I've seen
attorneys advise associations as such. Unfortunately, that's fairly clearly
incorrect in my opinion. The subsequent caselaw has not panned out that
way.  Simply regulating leases does not (per cases subsequent to *Wilkenson*)
lead to allowing an association to amend to restrict shorter time-frames,
unless there is already some specific reference to time-frames in the
covenants. You very likely can't even pass regulations that substantively
impair such use.

Some dissents along the way have pointed out that this use of *Wilkenson *is
terrible, as no one could have anticipated use of residences as hotels
until the last decade or so (using the words from one such dissent), so how
could you have left the door open to regulate something you couldn't have
conceived of? you couldn't - thus tying the hands of associations under the
current criteria of the law re: amendments. There is even a majority
opinion (from the so very often literary Division III) that eloquently
bemoans the rule - but resignedly notes that the appellate courts must
adhere to the Supreme Court decisions until the law gets with modern times.

But so goes it, until someone persuades the Supreme Court that the law
needs to change in light of the modern use of such platforms.

One helpful hint is that an association can at least require that any
short-term rentals comply with the applicable WA statute (RCW 64.37) - that
at least provides some threshold requirements (insurance, etc.). Since it's
legally required by state statute, it's not a barred amendment/regulation
by the association.

The other best approach is a strict and steeply increasing fine schedule
for repeated violations of already existing covenants re: nuisance, noise,
etc. - as the problems inherent with short-term rentals almost always
involve such violations, so hit the owner's pocketbooks for whatever that
may help to deter such use, or get the owner very involved in trying to
ensure good behavior.

An interesting rabbit hole I've had a few occasions to take a deep dive
into.

Carmen Rowe

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office: We are currently moving our Seattle location - notice of
new address coming soon!*

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.