[WSBARP] Question about when judgments become liens against thehomestead

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 15:59:45 PDT 2022

There is an exception for homestead property, where recording with the
county recorder is required.  I don't have the cite handy, but it's been
that way for close to 40 years following a Supreme Court case that held
that the lien would not attach to a homestead until after there had been
an appraisal.  The recording was set up as an easier option.

I once had a bankruptcy case where several six figure judgments were not
recorded, including one by an attorney who usually did record but missed
that one somehow.  There's also I believe a Court of Appeals case that
found it malpractice not to record where the debtor filed bankruptcy a
few days later.  I think that court may have missed the fact that the
recording would have been preferential and/or the lien avoidable.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148