[WSBARP] Off Topic For Those Firms With Firm Email Addresses

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 19 14:42:52 PST 2022

I don't know if any of you with firm email addresses had a 48+ hour
outage this weekend due to the Enom outage, but let me tell you it
wasn't fun.

Even if you were not affected though here's a valuable tip I learned.  I
had no idea that my domain registrar (Enom) was also my email DNS
provider.  It never even occurred to me that email needs DNS, although
that's sort of obvious.  Having both through one company is apparently a
mistake made by a lot of people, including system administrators.  They
should be separate companies.  Otherwise you may have DNS issues and not
be able to change your DNS settings (the situation I was in).

I have since moved my DNS over to a company called Cloudflare. It was
simple and easy to do.  So you might want to check up on your settings.

--

Kary L. Krismer