[WSBARP] Married Couple Deeding House to Wife to create separate property

Stephen Brandli steve at brandlilaw.com
Wed Sep 29 11:47:13 PDT 2021

I have not seen any authority for a finding of procedural unfairness (which is what you are talking about) with a present gift between spouses, only for an agreement that characterizes property that is acquired in the future.  The deed has two practical purposes:  (1) It vests control in the wife (in this case) of the property during the marriage, and (2) it can act as clear and convincing evidence of a gift if the parties divorce later.  See Estate of Borghi, 167 Wn.2d 480 (2009).

Technically, during the marriage, each party has a 50% undivided interest in community property.  So a deed, H & W to W, conveys the entire community interest because both spouses must consent to the change in character.  However, since deeds are construed based on intent, a deed H to W would likely have the same effect.

I have not had any trouble with a deed, H & W to W in her separate estate for love and affection, requiring excise tax.

                Steve