[WSBARP] Tax on trespass damages

John J. Sullivan sullaw at comcast.net
Mon Jun 28 08:38:31 PDT 2021

Deric:

The request for a W-9 is not a determination of taxability, but merely a determination that the payment is reportable on a Form 1099-MISC. Give them the W-9.

Who will prepare the client’s return? Client should consult with CPA or tax attorney to determine whether damages payment is taxable. Generally, damages are non-taxable if characterized as ror “personal injury.” That’s why the tax attorney should be consulted at the characterization stage and when drafting a settlement agreement or proposed order.

“ Terminology/Definitions Types of Claims

Tort:

 A civil wrong, not involving breach of contract, for which a remedy may be obtained;
 A wrongful act committed by one person against another person or his/her property;
 The breach of a legal duty imposed by law, other than by contract;
 May cause or constitute, but is not necessarily, a personal injury.

A tort award may be received from litigation or settlement of a claim for physical injury or illness, mental pain and suffering, interference with economic relations, and/or property damage.

Example 1
X punches Y, thus committing the tort of battery.

Example 2
X sets foot on Y‟s property, thus committing the tort of trespass, but causing no personal injury.”

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/lawsuitesawardssettlements.pdf

How were the damages characterized?

https://trespass.uslegal.com/damages/

https://ideaexchange.uakron.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2489&context=akronlawreview