[WSBARP] Tax on trespass damages

Deric Young Deric at hbjlaw.com
Mon Jun 28 07:32:59 PDT 2021

We have an adverse possession claim coupled w/ a trespass claim for damages.  Tentative settlement w/ client receiving property they adversely possessed  which includes $9,000.00 in damages for the trespass. The defendants insurance company is requesting a W-9 claiming the damages are subject to being taxed. I've never had a insurance company claim trespass damages are taxable. This is not income related. Thoughts?
Sincerely,

Deric N. Young, Attorney at Law
Jack W. Hanemann, P.S.
2120 State Ave N.E., Suite 101
Olympia, Washington  98506
Phone: (360) 357-3501
Fax: (360) 357-2299
Email:  deric at hbjlaw.com

This e-mail message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify deric at hbjlaw.com immediately by replying to this message and destroy all copies of this message including all attachments.