[WSBARP] Abandonment of commercial lease in King County and possible prejudgment attachment in Pierce County?

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Tue Jun 2 12:16:11 PDT 2020

Hi Stephen,
Here are a few issues to consider:

  1.  If this Complaint is just breach of contract, then the location of the premises should not be controlling. The location of the premises is material to an eviction or ejectment. In this case, you are just trying to collect back rent (and perhaps damage to the premises), so it is more appropriately a commercial litigation that is only tangentially related to real property.
  2.  Does the Lease have a venue clause? Somewhat rare, but sometimes a contract will state venue is in, e.g., King County Superior Court.
  3.  Venue is typically based on the Defendant’s residence. If the Defendants are Pierce County residents, it will be difficult for them to argue that Pierce County is an improper venue.
That’s all I have from my issue-spotting days in Contracts class. Hope that helps.

Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.