[WSBARP] Probate eviction

Jon Fritzler FritzlerLaw at outlook.com
Wed Jul 1 16:45:00 PDT 2020

Thank you!

-Jon

From: wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbarp-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Stromberg, Spencer
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 3:05 PM
To: WSBA Real Property Listserv <wsbarp at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBARP] Probate eviction

Jon -

Here is the body of a letter I drafted for a client to serve on the occupant/former owner of a property the client bought at a foreclosure sale. In this case, another lawyer started an unlawful detainer proceeding before the shutdown and before I got involved. There had already been a notice to vacate served (there are a few complicating facts that aren't relevant to your situation).

In the case you're dealing with, I would think a 20-day notice of termination of tenancy would be appropriate, and there's no reason it can't be served along with the Notice of Intent to Sell. I also don't see why the Notice of Intent to Sell language (the first sentence below) couldn't be added to a typical 20-day notice of termination of tenancy.

Full disclosure - I don't know yet if this notice is effective because we haven't had a court date yet.

I hope this helps.

Notice of Intent to Sell
This is notice to you that [Landlord] intends to sell the property located at [Address]. This notice is given for the sole purpose of satisfying the requirement of Proclamation 20-19.2 issued by Governor Jay Inslee on June 2, 2020 prohibiting evictions unless the property owner shows that at least 60 days’ written notice of the property owner’s intent to sell the property was given. You have known for several months that it is [Landlord]’s intent to renovate and resell the property, which it will do promptly upon securing your vacation of the property.
This notice does not amend, supersede, revoke, or otherwise change in any way the Notice to Vacate Property that was served on you on or about ____________, 2020. Furthermore, this notice should not be construed as consent to delay or forebear from taking action in the eviction matter pending against you in Spokane County Superior Court, Case No. ___________.

COVID-19 message:  If you have an in-person appointment or are planning to come to our office, please read.<https://lucentlaw.com/a-message-from-lucent-law-regarding-covid-19/>

Spencer A. W. Stromberg
Attorney at Law
[https://docs.google.com/a/sullivanstromberg.com/uc?id=0B5Bho_xLWvfVOThHV09PVEhXb3c&export=download]
South Hill Office:
1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S
Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.828.4644
F: 509.455.3718
E: spencer at lucentlaw.com<mailto:spencer at lucentlaw.com>
Web: www.lucentlaw.com<http://www.lucentlaw.com/>

Schedule a phone call or meeting with me<https://calendly.com/spencer-s>

Lucent Law provides comprehensive legal services in the areas of real estate, business law, and wills, trusts, and estates. Additionally, Lucent Law's EssentialLaw online platform<https://lucentlaw.com/essentiallaw/> provides defined scope legal services that are easy to understand and simple to purchase, all at reasonable fixed prices.

For news and updates regarding business law, real estate law and estate planning issues, please sign up for Lucent Law's News & Updates newsletter<https://www.lucentlaw.com/newsletter-sign-up>.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution, or use of this email or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify me and delete it from your system.