[WSBARP] [WSBAPT] Probate eviction

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Wed Jul 1 12:18:47 PDT 2020

Hi Jon,
I recently had the same situation come up. Be careful in the language you use, because the holdover girlfriend is actually a “tenant at will” or “tenant at sufferance” even though they do not pay rent, and could be entitled to the protections of Chapters 59.12 RCW and 59.18 RCW. I would expect the 60-day notice needs to be served in the same manner as any other termination notice under RCW 59.12.040.
I have attached a handout from a recent KCBA CLE on the matter of what landlords should do when a tenant dies. See the section on Evicting Unwanted Guests.
Evictions are a highly technical area, and in my experience, it is better to refer out the eviction part of the probate to an attorney that regularly does evictions. Most experienced eviction firms can do the whole process for under $1,000 in legal fees, and I don’t want to make my clients pay me to relearn the eviction statutes every few years.
Since it is a 60 day notice, there may be a huge advantage to posting the notice today, if possible. Good luck!

Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.