[WSBARP] Landlord Question - Next legislative session

Lenard Wittlake lwlaw at my180.net
Fri Dec 18 11:36:30 PST 2020

Mr. Long is correct, imho.  He is not talking about removing landlords from
their homes.  He is talking about the government taking control of dwellings
away from the landlord owners.  That is expropriation of dwellings, even if
temporarily.

As for mob rule, that was a concern of the founders (we were pretty much
started by disfavored minorities that fled slaughter in other places) and
that is relevant in analyzing the use of emergency powers which has stripped
away all of the protections mentioned.  The pandemic is the reason for
invoking emergency powers.  The problem under discussion is the way the
powers are used, who benefits and who pays. So I have an opinion about why a
politician would choose to lay the burden on landlords instead of broader
society.  At least these days no one gets killed over differences of opinion
.. oh, wait..

There are valid points and concerns on the right and the left.  But our
society seems to not care about coming to a consensus that works for more
than a mere majority (I live in OR where Portland can outvote the rest of
the state).  But our system has worked better than most others, until
emergency powers are used based on politics instead of rational analysis and
problem solving.  That Canadian idea someone mentioned makes sense to me.

Lenard L Wittlake, PLLC

Attorney & Counselor at Law

22 East Poplar Street, Suite 202

P.O. Box 1233

Walla Walla, WA 99362

(509) 529-1529 voice

(509) 850-3515 fax

 <http://www.lwattorney.com> www.lwattorney.com

 <mailto:Lenard at wittlakelaw.com> Lenard at wittlakelaw.com

The information contained in this email may be privileged, confidential or

otherwise protected from disclosure.  If you received this email in error,

please reply to the sender that you have received this information in error

and delete this email.