[WSBARP] Joint Tenancy With Right of Survivorship - Affidavit of Lack of Probate

Jennifer Johnson jmhanigan at gmail.com
Wed May 22 11:14:52 PDT 2019

WAC 458-61A-202 hasn't changed.  I file cover sheets and death certificates
like you do, and pay the $10 to the Treasurer.

I seem to be encountering increasing instances of county officials giving
legal advice like this, although I think that they don't recognize it as
legal advice because the lack of probate affidavit that you reference is a
Department of Revenue sanctioned form.  People are being told to just file
the affidavit so that they can claim the inheritance exemption from excise
tax, without realizing that, from a legal perspective, that may be entirely
the wrong course of action or, from a title insurance perspective, it tells
us nothing that we need to know in order to insure a transaction.  That's
just my two cents...

Jennifer Johnson
Title Officer | Attorney
Wahkiakum Title & Escrow Co.