[WSBARP] Beneficiary to Estate ?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Apr 18 12:37:51 PDT 2019

So there is client, client's Dad, and client's Grandma, right? Dad predeceased Grandma, and PR of Grandma's Estate claims that Dad owed Grandma money?

PR's position is wrong.

Grandma's Estate, to prove the debt, would have to timely and properly file a creditor's claim in Dad's Estate. If that wasn't done, then the debt is not a valid debt of Dad's Estate. Note that it also can only be collected against Dad's Estate. If Dad had nothing, then Grandma's Estate can recover nothing. Death is the ultimate bankruptcy. For very, very good reasons, it's not possible to inherit the responsibility for an ancestor's debt. Client did not "inherit" his Dad's obligation.

Since Dad predeceased Grandma, no part of Grandma's Estate flows to Dad's Estate. Which means that it is completely improper for Grandma's Estate to try to deduct a debt owed by Dad, from an inheritance going to client. Client is a direct beneficiary of his Grandma under her Will.

If PR attempts to deduct, there is lots of room for objection and petition to remove the PR for breach of fiduciary duty.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC