[WSBARP] Execution on judgement

Robert Pampell rpampell at swcp.com
Tue Nov 7 11:06:08 PST 2017

Thanks for this, which I had not seen.  Was that a reported case?   Note
that the case preceded the enactment of subsection (5) of 25.15.256, which
is supposed to prevent that result.

But I think this brings up another aspect of this issue.  There may be other
remedies that a creditor can use to coerce a settlement and/or satisfaction
of the judgment, one of which is receivership, especially where an operating
LLC is involved.

I think this discussion also is a great object lesson for the need to
counsel clients proposing to form SMLLCs, in terms of tempering their
expectation that an LLC provides a magical shield against all attacks.  If
the client is married, it may be appropriate in some cases to set up the LLC
as a two member company.  To avoid an argument that, by virtue of our
community property law, it is still a SMLLC, it may be useful to have the
spouses enter into a separate property agreement as to the initial
contributions and the interests themselves.