[WSBARP] HOA lien collection

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Wed Jan 4 11:55:08 PST 2017

Sorry, this is one of my over the top semi-regular HOA posts that probably gets way too complicated. But I have to deal with this stuff every day for clients. So here goes. Anything in the below that could be construed as critical of any case, court or judge was placed there after I hit "send" by the gremlins in my computer and is not my fault. Damn you, gremlins!

This is really complicated, and also really simple (sort of).  First, for the complicated part. To start with, you have to take a very close look at the recorded restrictions, which can come in a plat map, deeds, sets of covenants, or anywhere else a developer put them.

If you have authority, fine. If not, then the first thing I would think about would be the tension between Wilkinson v. Chiwawa Communities and RCW 64.38.020. The statute says what powers an association has, and it covers just about anything, under the proviso, "unless otherwise provided by the governing documents;" but Chiwawa does not address the statute, in its factual context of a covenant amendment; it says, you can't amend covenants to add new covenants, unless that is specified in the covenants already; and if the matter is related in some unspecified way to something that is in the covenants (and the Chiwawa court admits that there is not yet any guidance on relatedness and what that means), then you can't add additional burdens to property owners, and you can't do anything that is not reasonable and within the general plan of the community. And if you want to see gymnastics, don't wait for the next Olympics - just read how the majority reached its conclusion that a single night vacation rental use of a home is exactly the same as a single family residential use of that home, based on one thing - the inclusion of a rule in the covenants about the size of rental signs. Tell that to someone who lives next door to a vacation rental by owner home that specializes in renting to UW or WSU fraternities.

The next question is, how do other documents such as Bylaws and Articles and rules and regulations get treated after Chiwawa? Does Chiwawa only apply to covenant amendments, and therefore Bylaws and regulations aren't controlled by Chiwawa? After all, there is a long string of Washington cases that say that owner association governing documents are co-related, and as a set, are a contract with the members. But Chiwawa's language about not adding burdens to members seems to be very definitive; the issue is notice - did a person who bought in the development have notice that this restriction/rule which acts as a burden on his or her property exist? or not? So, if a set of Bylaws was in force, and recorded, before the owner bought, and that owner is subject to a provision in the Bylaws authorizing water shut off, does that matter? Or does everything have to be in the covenants?

Then you have all the other considerations - ratification, estoppel, statute of limitations, and so on. And by the way, the recent analysis of the application of the statute of limitations running against challenges to bylaws amendments in Parker v. Pattison is just dead wrong. Just follow the cases cited, especially, Keller v. Sixty-1, and the case not cited, Bilanko v. Barclay Court, and you will see that the issue is really the classic, void vs. voidable, within the power or not within the power, and not just that the statute of limitations doesn't apply.

Now, the simple part. Of course, no one has to provide utility services for free. A utility can shut off service for nonpayment, and the WUTC does not apply the water regs to HOAs so long as they meet its exception requirements, and without those rules, it is all really a matter of contract. The not-so-simple part: does the HOA bill separately for water and other assessments? If it is two bills, can it shut off water if they pay the water bill but not the other assessment bill? If it is combined, can it shut off water if they pay what part of the bill is for water, according to your budget? Members who aren't paying figure this angle out pretty regularly.

I think that so long as you don't have something contradictory in the recorded governing documents then an HOA can shut off water for nonpayment of a water bill, unless the governing documents say you can't ("the association shall provide water to each lot," or something like that). After that, much depends on the governing documents.

I would love to hear dissenting views about any of the above. I am wrong a lot, you know.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
 <mailto:rob at hctc.com> rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.