[WSBARP] Occupant in property after tax foreclosure sale

Scott Hildebrand scott at starboard-strategies.com
Tue Feb 28 08:18:50 PST 2017

I just encountered a similar fact pattern and can offer the following
general advice:

The best bet is a negotiation. According to the advice I received, which was
an heir living in the property after a sheriff's sale, the statutes are very
murky and an ejectment action was probably in order in my client's case.
Problem is that there is an eight month redemption period, which is almost
as long as the inhabitant could stay if the ejectment action runs its
course.

Also, there is an interplay between homestead rights and the ability to stay
during a redemption period.

After speaking with a couple of lawyers who know this stuff better than I
do, the conclusion I came to was that negotiation to get the inhabitant out
for cash would be a better course of action than almost any alternative.

Best,

Scott Hildebrand