[WSBARP] Occupant in property after tax foreclosure sale

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 28 09:22:40 PST 2017

Marcus, after research about 3 years ago, I came to the same conclusion that the only remedy was an ejectment action.  To tell the truth, I never considered the issue of redemption and the ability of the debtor to live there and I think (I hope) that that only applies to judicial foreclosures and not tax foreclosures. My client needed to hold onto the property for at least three years (and rent it out) before a title company was willing to insure a sale to a third party because they were concerned about the minors and incapacitated persons statute of limitations.  And, just because we don’t see much of this in a rural county, I received prior approval of the process and the writ of ejectment from the sheriff’s office and the court clerk before I took it to the judge.  Fortunately, the occupants defaulted so it was a fairly quick process.