[WSBARP] Listing exceptions to title in deed versus "boiler plate" reference to exceptions of record

Marc Holmes marc at holmeslawgroup.com
Thu Sep 22 16:50:38 PDT 2016

I think John is precisely correct.  If I represent the seller I do not object if escrow drafts the deed with the broad ‘boilerplate” clause.  But, when I represent a buyer I include a specific term in the offer requiring the deed to be subject only to specially excepted items that survive closing.

There is at least one large escrow company that uses a ridiculous “marketability” clause in lieu of either of the above.  I think it is an even worse option for both buyer and seller and I do not understand what they think it accomplishes because it does not contain the phrase “subject to” or language even close to that effect.  I have literally asked them what does this clause mean and gotten at best, a lame explanation about a “condition of title” provision in the NWMLS form purchase and sale agreement.

My contract language specifically says that such a clause will not be permitted.  If I can’t get that term into the deal or the client wants a super clean offer to try and win a competitive bidding situation, I have gotten this marketability language removed from the deed by pointing out it is not included in the Limited Practice Board forms and that they are engaging in the unauthorized practice of law by inserting it.  They politely agree to my request at that point.

Marc Holmes

Holmes Law Group PLLC

808 5th Ave N

Seattle WA 98109