[WSBARP] Sale of an Easement - Capital Gains?

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Wed May 11 16:28:40 PDT 2016

David:

I am not sure what the answer to this question is but I wanted to make a
comment.  The client is granting a "conservation easement" to the Land
Trust in return for some serious money.  What they are "selling" by
granting the CE is technically a "restriction on development rights".  It
is definitely giving up something but I am not sure that it is a "real
property interest" for tax purposes.  It is certainly related to the
property interest.

Of course when they eventually sell the property with the CE they will
incur a substantial loss of value because of the CE and the restrictions on
the development rights.

i hope this gives you something to chew on.

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law
100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205
Bellingham, WA 98225