[WSBARP] best way to correct typo in name on deed

Chandra Lewnau chandra at lewnaulaw.com
Wed Jun 10 14:48:05 PDT 2015

In drafting a deed for a client, I noticed that the original deed to my
client named her as Sally H. Draper when her real name is Sally B. Draper.
This deed is 20 years old and I have no idea where or if the original
grantors are to be found. The deed needed to be filed ASAP, so I listed her
as "Grantor, Sally B. Draper, who took title as Sally H. Draper" and had
her sign that way as well.

Is this sufficient to clear up the title? What is the best way to correct
such an issue? I did ask a title company and they suggested I have my
client sign a quit claim deed from Sally H. to Sally B. to clear it up. I
was dubious about that as the notary certainly can't affirm that the
nonexistent Sally H. appeared before her. Any responses greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Chandra M. Lewnau, Attorney at Law

*Elder Law & Estate Planning*

Voicemail 206-317-4282
Email chandra at lewnaulaw.com

This email address is for mailing list purposes only.

For faster contact, email clewnau at eldercounselor.com
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
They are intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you have received
this email by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and do not
disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.