[WSBARP] Providing .doc version of final will to clients?

Heather Kolbly heather at kolblylaw.com
Tue Aug 11 13:18:56 PDT 2015

Hi All,

I am closing my law practice and I've had several clients ask me for .doc versions of their final Will, powers of attorney and living wills.  They say it's so they can provide it to a new attorney for easier updates to their current documents I drafted for them.  My policy is to only provide PDF copies because it's too easy for clients to make their own updates that may be detrimental to their estate.  Also, I have spent 12 years honing my documents and I consider them proprietary creations of mine that it don't want people I don't know copying.  The clients are not happy with my policy and have given some pretty snippy replies to my reasons for not giving them .dic versions of final wills, etc.

Do any of you provide changeable (.doc) final versions of your legal docs to clients?  Am I maybe being too cautious?  I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
Heather Kolbly
KOLBLY LAW FIRM, PC
(425) 444-1888