[WSBARP] Providing .doc version of final will to clients?

MK Henderson law.mkh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:32:41 PDT 2015

I offer pdf versions but not .docs. You could explain to your client that
another attorney would probably not be comfortable using the old will and
over time language changes, laws change. It is easier and often cheaper to
just get a new will. IMHO. Mary

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 1:18 PM, Heather Kolbly <heather at kolblylaw.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am closing my law practice and I've had several clients ask me for .doc
> versions of their final Will, powers of attorney and living wills.  They
> say it's so they can provide it to a new attorney for easier updates to
> their current documents I drafted for them.  My policy is to only provide
> PDF copies because it's too easy for clients to make their own updates that
> may be detrimental to their estate.  Also, I have spent 12 years honing my
> documents and I consider them proprietary creations of mine that it don't
> want people I don't know copying.  The clients are not happy with my policy
> and have given some pretty snippy replies to my reasons for not giving them
> .dic versions of final wills, etc.
>
> Do any of you provide changeable (.doc) final versions of your legal docs
> to clients?  Am I maybe being too cautious?  I don't think so, but I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> Thanks!
> Heather Kolbly
> KOLBLY LAW FIRM, PC